Thursday, April 5, 2012

Farenheit 451

I was pretty proud that I got the first reading assignment due on time! So here it is...hopefully this will happen every time!!!

So in the beginning of this book, Fahrenheit 451, it seemed like Montag really liked his job. I think that the first real thing that sparked his transformation was meeting Clarisse McClellan. Clarisse saw the world differently than most people did at this time. She stopped to think and catch the rain in her mouth. She thought every little aspect of the world. She said that “the rain tasted almost like wine”.  She was not satisfied with the way that the world wanted her to be, so she was herself. I almost cried when later in the book they said they thought she died four days earlier. Mildred didn’t even seamed concerned at all! She simply forgot to tell him. At the end of one of the conversations that Montag and Clarisse had, Clarisse asked Montag an interesting question. She asked him if he was happy. I think that at first Montag probably didn’t question it. I am pretty sure Montag always just thought he was happy. This question really burned inside of him. When he got home to see that Millie had overdosed on pills, I think he started to question if he was really happy. I think another thing that sparked his change was the dandelion trick. It told him he wasn’t really in love and I think he started to believe it. In the end of the first section, I think the change he went through was good. I think it will bring him and his wife closer and they will find out all the secrets of why so many people love books.

                 I sure hope that our world is not headed down the path that leads us to the world that Montag lives in. In Beatty’s lecture, he tells how everything goes on the way it does so that everyone will be happy. I don’t think that his definition of happiness is correct at all. They think that happiness comes from just partying all the time with not a whole lot of responsibility. At first glance this may seem like a great lifestyle, but when you look closer you realize that it would not be a great life style to live at all. I strongly believe that happiness comes from all of us being unique and doing the things we really love. In Montag’s world they strongly discourage strong thinking and diversity. Clarisse was the closest thing to that that this world they live in has had, so they got rid of it. They “nipped it in the butt”. If out world is really heading in a way that we will not be allowed to really think and read the books we want, I am really worried for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment