Sunday, December 25, 2011

My Letters about Literature!

Dear James Dashner,
          I really enjoyed your book, The Scorch Trials. It was a very fast read for me because I was so intrigued with the book. The characters in your book really made me think about some of the people in my own life. Your book also made me really think about what the future may be about, and frankly scared me to think that was the way you saw the future. It made me think about so many things that I had never thought about before, and brought out things in me that I did not know I could do.
          I have never been really into reading, so to read this book in less than two days really made me surprise myself. I had made up my mind to devote a day to really read this book and figure out what happens, because sometimes I get lost in so many other things that I don’t make time to read.  It made me realize that when I put my mind to something, I can do it. I think the reason I read it so fast was because I connected to the characters in a way that really made me want to keep reading. Sometimes in our daily lives we really do forget things in the past and really focus on what is happening only in the present. This book helped me realize that when we do that, it just makes things more difficult. Like Thomas, we are sometimes put into situations that we don’t want to be in and we sometimes don’t understand why it is happening to us. The Scorch Trials taught me that even if we don’t understand, we need to just keep trying and don’t give up until we reach the end.  The time that the story took place really made me think too.
          You set your books in the future. This made me really stop and think about what the future could be like. It would be such a scary world to live in if you could get scorched by the sun or killed by cranks with a disease that the whole world was starting to get. I had a lot of sympathy for Thomas because of what he was going through. Many times while I was reading the book I found myself truly scared for many of the main characters. Some of the story also made me really sad for how many lost and dead there were throughout the whole story. Not to mention how it ripped my heart right out of my chest when Theresa fooled Thomas with her dumb love trick.
          When Theresa and Aris made Thomas feel betrayed by making him think that Theresa never really loved him, they made him think it was all just to get him to do something for them. WICKED truly is evil. When they tricked Thomas I didn’t know if it was real, and it truly made me sick for Thomas. It made me want to cry. This book really shook my emotions. It made me realize exactly what I am sensitive to and what I really like in a story. I really connected with Thomas in this book because I felt that sometimes he didn’t know exactly what he was doing being there. He didn’t really know what he was supposed to be doing in life, but he ended up figuring it out. He never once gave up even though a couple of times he thought he didn’t have the strength to keep going. He made it to the end no matter what the cost was. Thomas is truly inspiring for that.
          I really did enjoy the book that you wrote. It inspired me in so many ways. I liked how you developed each of the characters so well. The Scorch Trials inspired me to want to read more and write better.  It affected me more than any other book like this has. It helped me realize things that I had never realized before!  Thank you Mr. Dashner for giving us this book for me to read and thank you for your time.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment